Sunday, January 9, 2011

Exercise 2.4 - Horizontal and Vertical Lines

The task was to take pictures of the horizontal and vertical lines. I decided to shoot both outside and inside objects for this and used my Tamron f2.8 90mm for inside macro objects and Tamron f3.5-6.3 18-250mm for outside objects.

Here are the horizontal ones:

1. This was a first object that came to my mind when thinking of horizontal lines. Because I wanted this shot to be evenly sharp, I used aperture of f.20 and a bit longer shutter speed of 1.3 sec. It might be that cropping more to the level of a single line would make this picture more interesting, but I decided to leave it as it is.


2. Another inside object that I decided to picture was a set of magazines on the shelf. Due to the lighting conditions, the shutter speed here was very long - 15 sec and again, to make the wording on the top magazine visible, I used a quite small aperture of f.18.


3. For outside objects I went to the railway station. The snow,  old trains standing on a distance and the rails together created a set of lines. The mistake that I have made here was leaving ISO at 1600, though there was no real reason for this. I have just forgotten to change the setting back. That's why, I converted the image into black and white, to make the amount of noise a bit more justified.  

 

4. As it was not see from the distance, I zoomed the train to the longest focal distance of 250mm, where lines of snow complemented each other, creating a set or lines.



Vertical lines:

1. The curtain here creates an impression of straight vertical lines. The lights on the background are just for making composition more interesting. Again, here is the the same mistake with ISO 1600. If it was set up in a right way, there would be less noise on this shot.


2. Probably not the best object for lines exercise, but still the shape of the building, corners contrasting with shadows and some background might qualify as a set lines.


3. The windows of these building are in a form of lines. Shooting from a sharp angle stresses the aim of this composition.


 4. The pattern on this old door says for itself. The strange lock just adds up to the composition.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment