Monday, October 4, 2010

Exercise 5 - Panning

The same as for the previous task, I decided to take a picture of another my niece riding a bike. The difference compared to the previous exercise is that in this case my camera is not fixed on the same spot. Instead, I move it slightly according to the movement. There is even a special word to this technique - "panning". Now, let's see what is the difference compared to the shots in the previous exercise.

1. Shutter speed 1/100; f/16


2. Shutter speed 1/80; f/16


3. Shutter speed 1/60s; f/22

4. Shutter speed 1/50s; f/18

5. Shutter speed 1/40; f/25

6. Shutter speed 1/30; f/24

7. Shutter speed 1/25; f/25

 8. Shutter speed 1/25; f/29

It is seen that at a shutter speed 1/40, the object is still sharp. The background shows movement. I quite liked this technique, it is good to show the object moving. Compared to the previous exercise it is the other way around, object is sharp and the background is out of focus, because I have physically moved the camera following the object. If I was choosing among shots from these two exercises, I would say that I like the one taken at a shutter speed 1/60 using panning technique the most. The object is in focus and movement is clearly shown by the background. However, if I wanted to take a picture of 'movement' as opposed to 'moving object' (e.g. cars driving in a dark city) I would use a technique from the previous exercise.

The other thing that I noticed is that, because I was moving camera and the aperture has been adjusted in a different way than in the previous exercise, where one step in shutter speed equal to one step in f-number to compensate the exposure.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Arina
    Cool panning, your gallery does not seem to work.

    ReplyDelete